Wellness Leadership Program
APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The Wellness Leadership Program trains the next generation of young leaders in the Chinese immigrant community in Greater Philadelphia to promote the importance of mental wellness across generations. We select brilliant young Asian Americans (ages 15-22) who are passionate about community development and mental health to participate in the 3-month program. Program is free of charge for accepted applicants and runs between October and December. Application period is open in September.
Learning Goals for Participants:
- Obtain a basic understanding of community-based, multidisciplinary, and culturally appropriate practices
- Develop mental and emotional wellness in diverse Asian American communities
- Incorporate relevant knowledge and tools into personal growth and career development
- Acquire access to mentorship from community leaders/health professionals/educators
- Gain networking opportunity with a cohort who will become leaders of their chosen fields
- Share learning and projects with leading non-profit organizations in the region
Our faculty in 2020 included:
- Esther Castillo, PhD | CIFWI Project Manager; Sociologist; Adjunct Professor at University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
- Rachel Chan, MA | Registered Dietitian
- Eddie Chong, PhD | Post Doctoral Psychology Fellow at University of Pennsylvania
- Suzanne Chong, PhD | Staff Psychologist at Ursinus College; Adjunct Professor at Villanova University
- Dr. Heng Guo, MD | Psychiatrist at the Philadelphia VA Hospital; Clinical Assistant Professor in the Department of Psychiatry at the University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine
- Akbar Hossain, JD | Judicial Law Clerk at U.S. District Courts, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- Isabelle Hsu, M.Phil.Ed | Outpatient Therapist at Elwyn Outpatient Services
- Yi-Lin Hung, MFT | Outpatient Therapist at Intercultural Family Services
- Maggie Yanye Li, MA, LPC | Psychotherapist
- Cathi Tillman, MSW | Licensed Social Worker; Approved Supervisor in Marriage and Family Therapy; Executive Director of La Puerta Abierta/The Open Door
- Promoting Healthy Eating and Body Image (Physical Health)
- Cultivating Mindfulness and Coping with Anxiety (Emotional Health)
- Grounding Yourself and Developing Gratitude (Spiritual Health)
- Striding Toward Social Equity and Inclusion (Environmental Health)
- Finding Creative Abilities and Building New Skills (Intellectual Health)
- Developing Healthy Relationships with Family and Friends (Social Health)
- Finding Healthy Career Paths (Occupational Health)
- Balancing Among Time, Money and Wellbeing (Financial Health)
Intergenerational Wellness Assignment
Our faculty provide one-on-one guidance for you to complete an art/creative/academic assignment in which you will explore what intergenerational wellness means to you and your family. Students have the opportunity to share their projects with leading non-profit organizations in the region.
Our 2020 Program was sponsored by the Community Fund for Immigrant Wellness.
Download 2020 English brochure HERE:
CIFWI is part of Philadelphia Chinatown Development Corporation.
© Copyright 2021 Philadelphia Chinatown Development Corporation. All Rights Reserved.